Before we get into the details of the top-rated or best WordPress cache plugins, some basic questions have to be answered.
What Is The Cache Plugin And Cache?
In simple words, a cache is like a collection of stored data that is often requested by the user. So whenever there is a request for asking the data, it can be picked up instantly without the server. The data don’t have to go through the long or the complicated string of processes every time.
Using a Cache is a way of making your website load faster. You will see that when you browse into a website for the first time, it loads a bit slower as compared to the second time when you browse into it.
This happens because when you browse into a site for the first time, the images, files, scripts, and other things related to the website get stored on your computer’s hard disk or hard drive. So, when you browse into the website for the next time, it loads fast because all the script, images, and files of the website are already stored on your computer, and all the complicated string of processes are not repeated as they were done in the first step.
In technical language, it stores and generates lighter static HTML pages of your website. When a user accesses your website, and it offers the lighter HTML page instead of the heavier WordPress PHP scripts, which takes longer to process.
Why Cache is used, and how does Cache help your site?
A cache plugin is used for speeding up the site processes. The Cache is used to make your website load faster. Cache is used to avoid any incompetence regarding the loading of your site. A cache is used for carrying out various tasks that are taking place inside your site when a request is generated or submitted by any user.
By using a cache plugin, you can save a lot of files that are frequently and commonly requested. These temporarily saved files are copied by the server and presented as soon as it is requested. This temporarily stored data(files) is known as a cache.
By storing Cache, the server does not repeatedly go under the same process, which is time-consuming.
Why should you get a WordPress cache plugin?
If you want to divert more traffic to your site and enjoy an SEO advantage from Google, you should get a WordPress cache plugin. A WordPress cache plugin will help you rank higher on search engines, which means better Search Engine Optimization.
It also clears out all the unwanted data, which will make your site run fast and smoothly. It does not require only Http compression but also allows image compression, which converts large images into smaller images that improve page loading times.
Improved loading time will increase your conversion rates because users often leave the site if it takes more than three seconds. If your site is even delayed by a second or two, the conversion rate decreases up to 7% to 20%.
How does a WordPress cache plugin enhance your site performance and help you achieve the goals which are mentioned above?
WordPress cache plugin enhances your site performance by making a copy of first load pages and serving the cached copies (stored files) to the user’s browser upon further request.
Doing this saves the user a lot of time by skipping the processing time, which it would have taken if it didn’t copy the files. This copying process makes your site run fast.
It also helps you get more users because it makes your site a fast loading site, and everyone surely likes user-friendliness and ease.
Now that some of the basic questions about the Cache and WordPress Cache plugin are answered Let’s dive right into the list of best WordPress cache plugins so that you can choose a WordPress cache plugin that will best fit your site.
Top 12 best WordPress cache plugins for boosting up your website:
1. WP rocket – WordPress Cache Plugin
WP Rocket is mentioned at the top of the list because it has earned this place. It is easily the user’s top favorite cache plugin with over 1,202,000+ installations.
Thinking about why most users prefer it?
The main reason for this is that it is user friendly. It has a simple and easy set-up that attracts users and mostly beginners because even if you are not familiar with the technical side of caching, the plugin will do the job for you. It creates an ultra-fast loading time, which gives improved SEO ranking and increased conversion.
When you activate WP Rocket, page caching is instantly activated.Just be aware of reverse proxy and object cashing.
This helps to improve the load time because images are loaded when the user scrolls through your site.
You can discover their features by clicking on “discover all features.”This is how the Home Page of WP Rocket looks like:
Features of WP rocket
Quick set up, page caching, cache preloading, GZIP compression, browser caching, database optimization, Google fonts optimization, lazy load, minification/ concatenation, CDN, DNS prefetching, mobile detection, multisite compatibility, connected users, import/export and developer-friendly and http secure.
You can easily scale up to high traffic website as well.You just need a Access Key or original version.
Here is a picture of features compared to WP rocket and hyper Cache:
The pricing plan of WP rocket:
WP Rocket offers three pricing plans: single, plus, and infinite.
If you are currently handling only one website and a beginner, then you should go for this. It starts at $49 and lasts for a year
If you have more than one website to handle and are expanding your website, then you should go for the ’plus plan. It starts at $99.
If you are a tech geek and have unlimited or more than three websites, then go for the infinite plan. It starts at $249.
The best part about the WP rocket is that it has a money-back guarantee. They will provide a refund if it is requested within 14 days. A good web hosting will also help in this process.
2. W3 Total Cache – WordPress Cache Plugin:
It is one of the oldest WordPress cache plugins and open source. It was initially launched in 2009. It was highly rated until it had a downside as compared to other plugins, and this downside was a slump in developer support. A good user interface will help you.
W3 Total Cache (open source) has over 1 million active users. Bold grid acquired the W3 total cache plugin, and since then, it has improved its features (according to what an excellent cache plugin is).
It is trusted by many popular sites, including AT&T, Mashable, Smashing Magazine, Beginner, and millions of others. It improves the user experience by improving your server performance, caching every aspect of your site, reducing the download times, and providing transparent content delivery network (CDN) integration.
Features of the W3 Total Cache:
1. Page cache: A page cache creates static cache pages for each loaded page. By doing this is not dynamically being loaded upon each page load. Cache Plugins decreases the loading time of your page.
To understand this feature easily here is a picture of how it works:
As you’ll normally see when a user involves your site, WordPress runs PHP scripts and MySQL queries to the database to seek out the requested page. Then PHP parses the info and generates a page.
This process takes server resources. If your page caching is activated, it skips all that server load and shows a cached copy of the page when a user requests it.
2. Browser caching: Browser cache stores web files for a temporary time and helps to boost the site.
3. Database cache: Database caching may be a process included within the design of computer applications that generate sites on-demand (dynamically) by accessing back-end databases.File System Trouble occurs if many files are deleted at same time.
4. Object caching support: It involves storing database query results so that when the result is needed next time, it will be served from the Cache without repeatedly querying the database
5. Minification: This feature removes unnecessary or redundant data without affecting the resource, which is processed by the browser. For example, it helps better site loading by removing unused codes or using a shorter variable.
6. Automatic CDN support: W3 Total Cache has one of the most extensive CDN options available. It includes direct integrations with Amazon, MaxCDN, CloudFront, Sack Path, and more.
7. Lazy loading of images and media: This feature prevents the loading of images that are not on screen. When the user scrolls through the site and comes across the image, the image will start loading.
The pricing plan of the W3 Total Cache: W3 Total Cache is free and does not require you to pay any fee. However, the pro version/ subscription does require a fee and costs $99 a year.
Drawbacks: Unfortunately, there are a few drawbacks of W3 Total Cache, they are:
Ø Pricing: The pro version costs a lot for a person who owns three or more than three websites. WP Rocket offers a better price plan comparatively.
Ø Not user-friendly: The User Interface is very hard to understand and process. It has a lot of low ratings. It is not easy to set up and is not beginner-friendly.
Ø Disabling scripts and optimizing the database: I think the reason for these drawbacks is that W3 Total Cache has tough competitors like WP Rocket. It does not have the feature of disabling scripts and optimizing the databases.
Other than that, it is pretty good for a free WordPress cache plugin and will do the job.
3. Comet cache – WordPress cache plugin
Like W3 Total Cache, comet cache also has a free and a pro version available. The pro or paid version starts at $39.
It is simple and effective. You don’t need to be a technology pro or guru to set this up. Comet cache is more of a ’download and activates’ plugin. You don’t need to upgrade from a free to the pro version because the free version offers almost the same features and services as the pro version.
Features of comet cache:
|Easy set-up||It has a famous easy, and simple 2-minute set-up. A well-documented configuration is already set in all you have to do to enable it, and you are good to go!|
|Post/Page/Category/Tag Caching||It is easily the most reliable way to speed up WordPress. It provides the service of page generation caching for all WordPress components.|
|Automatic & Intelligent Cache Clearing||This feature is not available in the free version; however, you can access this feature by buying the pro version. This feature monitors Posts, Pages, Custom Post Types, Categories, Tags, Links, Themes, Users, and more for changes. It also clears or removes out any unwanted and appropriate (for clearing) cache files.|
|Client-Side Browser Caching||With the help of this feature, the browser is allowed to cache the Cache for extra speed. This is known as theability to allow a double-cache.|
|RSS, RDF & Atom Feed Caching||Comet Cache speeds up your content syndication feeds, too, so that readers who read your feed do not have to wait.|
|404 (Not Found) Request Caching||Cache 404 error requests to caching reduce the effect it has on your server, e.g., misbehaving bots/spiders.|
|Automatic Cache Expiration Time||This feature gives you the ability to set an automatic expiration time for cache files. By doing this, the site remains fast on autopilot.|
|URI Cache Exclusion Patterns||This will help you to customize the Cache for nicer compatibility with extra themes and plugins.|
|User-Agent Exclusion Patterns||It allows you to remove some browser options, such as a mobile device, for better handling. This is not necessary but is optional.|
|GET Request Caching & Exclusion||This feature of comet cache allows you to either Cache or ignore URLs that contain query strings.|
|GZIP Compression (Compatible)||Works with mod_deflate, PHP output compression, and other GZIP techniques.|
|WP-CLI Compatibility||This supports installing, activating, deactivating, and deleting via WP-CLI.|
|Debugging Mode||You can see what comet cache is doing because this feature provides you with the ability to enable debug notes in HTML.|
|Developer Friendly Codebase||This is the feature due to which W3 Total Cache faced backlash. The comet cache’s code is clean, commented (docBlocks), and contains tons of hooks. This makes it easier for developers to extend.|
|Logged-In User Caching|
|Enforce Canonical URLs|
|Dashboard Notification Opt-Out|
|Leverage Browser Caching|
|Mobile-Adaptive Mode||You have complete control over your dashboard notifications. You can disable Dashboard notifications related to an automatic clearing on change detections.|
|Auto-Clear a List of Custom URLs||You can specify a list of custom URLs whose cache files should always be cleared. This will automatically clear the Cache of the files.|
|Minification and concatenation of JS and CSS|
|Manually clear current page||Apart from clearing out specific URLs and custom URLs, you can also clear the Cache for the current page in the admin toolbar by choosing the clear current URL button.|
The list of comet cache’s features goes on, and it is clear that it is an all in one package. The best part is that the free version offers so many features that you don’t have to upgrade to a pro version unless you are handling more than three sites. If you don’t have the budget to spend on cache plugins for WordPress, then go for this.
4. WP Super cache– WordPress cache plugin
WP Super Cache is a free caching plugin for WordPress users. It is best suited for high-traffic websites. It will improve your site performance by reducing your site’s bandwidth consumption and will also ensure that your site’s content remains available at all times.
Even if your site is down or if your site crashes, there will still be a cache that will be presented to the users.
Along with other enhancements, it also helps in improving your web site’s search engine optimization (SEO) because speed or loading time of your site also acts as a ranking factor in SEO.
It allows you to generate static HTML files that your web server can show to your website’s visitors. This is a much quicker and lighter substitute for processing WordPress PHP scripts, which can be costly and time-consuming.
Here are some features of WP super cache:
Bluehost, which is a recommended Web Host of WordPress, allows activating WP super cache; all you have to do is to go download WP super cache and go under the’ ’plugins’ section and activate WP super cache.
WP Super Cache allows you to easily export capabilities. This allows you to share or transfer your caching settings to an additional site with ease.
Mobile device support
This is a feature that is very important in a cache plugin. The WP super cache allows mobile support, which is why it is better than some of its competitors.
Automatic page compression
WP Super Cache allows automatic page compression, which means you can selectively choose indexes or partitions within a database to compress it. The repeated values are stored and then making references to those values from other locations within the table.
The basic cache scheduling functions:
This feature allows the quick and smooth running of the site by storing the required information about the site. It has a scheduled cache which is provided to the user upon request. As the information is already stored and copied, it takes less time to process.
5. WP fastest cache:
WP’s fastest Cache has over 100,000 installations. It is a free cache plugin but does not have a lot of advanced features. But there are basic features like minification of CSS and HTML, browser caching, and other basic features.
You can get access to advanced features by signing up for a paid version.
It offers three main price plans:
1. Bronze: it starts at $49 and is to be used with one site only.
2. Silver: It starts at $125 and can be used for three sites.
3. Gold: it starts at $175 and can be used for 5 sites.
The free and basic version offers the basic features, which are:
- Mod rewrite
- Deletion of cache files once a page is published
- Manual deletion of cache files
- Cache timeout and cache timeout for specific pages, which means that cache files of specific pages will be deleted at determined times.
- Content delivery support
- SSL support
- Cloudflare support
- You can enable/disable cache options for mobile devices or logged in users
- It also allows you to exclude pages and user-agents
- Preload cache
As by the list of features, you can tell that if you are a beginner and don’t need much from a cache plugin, then you can go for WP fastest cache.
Ease of set-up and use The set-up is easy and can be done in two steps.
Step 1 is to install the cache plugin through your WordPress desktop. After adding ’WP fastest cache’ through the plugin, the option comes the next step.
Step 2 is to set up the plugin by checking some checkboxes. It will give you a list of checkboxes. Choose the checkboxes which you want to activate. Once done choosing, click activate, and you’re good to go! It is that simple.
6. Hyper Cache – WordPress cache plugin
Hyper Cache has around 30,000+ installations and is not quite popular. It is a free cache plugin and does not have a paid version. It was developed by Stefani Lissa.
If you are someone who wants to target more mobile users rather than desktop users, then this is definitely for you as it has more features for such admins.
The plus point of the hyper Cache is that it supports mobile devices. This means that your visitors on mobile can also get a fast loading time on your website. The feature is helpful for those whose themes and plugins mostly attract mobile users.
The feature will serve a version optimized for mobile or tablet screens, separately. This feature is rare, especially in a free cache plugin. Except for mobile device support it also has other great features which are:
– Theme switching: With this feature, you can switch themes which are served to mobile users. If you want your site to be displayed differently on mobile screens, then this is a good option.
– Compression support: The feature optimizes pages in such a way that it lessens the bandwidth or data that is being transferred from your server to the device. This is also a feature that proves to be more beneficial and fruitful for mobile users and website owners.
– Excluded caching. This feature allows you to manually control which pages, post types, etc. You are going to be excluded from caching. This feature helps you if you think that some pages do not require any catching or modification.
– Automatically refreshed Cache: Your Cache us automatically referred when a new post is published. You don’t have to worry about your new post being disappeared or not showing up to users. Hyper Cache has your back on the newly published posts or pages.
Set up of hyper Cache
Unlike Hyper Cache is not like a ’plug and play’ cache plugin. It is not that easy to set up as you cannot directly activate it. You have to fix and adjust some settings manually, which might not be easy for a beginner, which means that it isn’t really beginner-friendly.
7. Cachify – WordPress cache plugin
It is a free WordPress cache plugin that does not have any premium version. The author of cachify is Sergej Müller. It is run by Plugin Kollektiv, which is a group of WordPress developers who work to maintain the WordPress plugins for the available community.
Great features of cachify:
- · Supports many Web Server types
- · CDN support
- · SSL support
- · Various caching methods such as DB, HDD, APC and Memcached
- · page caching and browser caching
- · As cachify is free, it does not have the feature of database optimization
- · Easy deletion of Cache by ‘flush cache’ in the toolbar.
- · It allows optional compression of HTML markup
- · Offers WordPress multisite
- · Offers white lists for posts and user agents.
- · Automatic cache management and reset
- · Allows extendibility via hooks and filters
- · It has dashboard widgets for cached objects
8. WP-Optimize – WordPress cache plugin
As the name of the plugin suggests, it is an all-rounder and is responsible for cleaning your database, compressing your images, and caching your site. It is a simple and effective tool for keeping your website fast and optimized. It is available in 27 languages. It has 900,000+ installations.
Features of WP-optimize plugin:
- Cleans your database by cleaning our any unwanted data
- Scheduled optimization of data\tasks
- Automatic weekly cleanup
- Image compression which compresses large images into compressed files. This will speed up the loading time of your page as the compressed files take less time to load.
- Page caching
- Cache preloading
- GZIP compression
- Browser caching
- The pricing plan of WP optimize
- The premium plan of the WP-optimize plugin starts at 30 dollars for a 2-site license.
- Dollar 45 for a 5-site license
- Dollar 113 for an unlimited site license
9. Hummingbird – WordPress cache plugin
Hummingbird has more than one million active users or installations. Even though it is new in the market but still lives up to the requirements.
Ease of set-up
It is definitely not easy for a beginner to set-up this plugin after installing. It might not be clear for a beginner for what to do and what not to do.
Features of Hummingbird:
- GZIP compression, which enables text compression, which makes your site run smoothly.
- Lazy load of off-screen images. This is a feature I many plugins that allows loading of images that are off-screen. This way user does not have to wait for the image to load as itr has already been loaded.
- Browser cache
- Defer unload CSS
- Increased conversion rate
- Scan and fix features. This feature allows you to scan your site and find out what is slowing it down. Then you can fix the problem and get your site working properly.
- Better rankings in search engines due to improved page speeds.
- Pricing of Hummingbird:
- Number one is the free version which has packed features and is available on WordPress.org
- The premium plan is available for dollar 49 a month, which seems pricey as compared to other WordPress plugins.
10. Litespeed cache – WordPress cache plugin
The LiteSpeed Cache for WordPress (LSCWP) is an all in one cache plugin. It supports WordPress Multisite.
Pricing of Litespeed cache: It is a completely free cache plugin and does not have any premium or paid version.
Features of Litespeed cache:
- CDN cache
- Object cache
- Image optimization
- Cloudflare support
- CDN support
- Browser cache\
- Database cleaner and database optimizer
- Import\export settings
- Easy and simple to understand interface
- Multisite and single-site network support
- Schedule purge for specific files
- It is compatible with WooCommerce, bbPress, and Yoast SEO.
- Smart preload
- Widgets and shortcodes
- Load Balancer
- Flexible Load Balancing
- HTTP/2, QUIC, HTTP/3-provides technical support
- SSL Handshake Offloading-save you from slow speed and jam in network
- ZeroConf Cluster,API and C panel are user friendly
- Brotli Compression-glossy and nice compression of images
- LSCache Engine with ESI
11. Speedup browser cache – WordPress cache plugin
It is a lightweight WordPress cache plugin which weighs only 10KB itself. It is a simple and basic cache plugin.
Features of Speedup browser cache:
- Browser caching
- Other simple caching features
- It does not have page caching and database optimization features.
- If you don’t want or need a complex or advanced cache features, then this is for you
Pricing of speedup browser cache:
There is a free version of this plugin available on WordPress, and there is no paid version available.
12. Breeze – WordPress cache plugin
Breeze is a completely free WordPress cache plugin, which is also user friendly. Various options are served by the breeze cache plugin to maintain the optimization of your site at various levels.
Ease of set-up
Breeze is easy to set up and activate. It is more of a plug and play plugin. The default options mostly work best for every site, which means you don’t have to manually adjust the settings or options. All you have to do is install it and activate it.
Some simple features of breeze:
– Improves speed and optimization
– File-level cache system
– Database cleanups
– Support for the varnish cache
– Simplified CDN integration
So those were 12 WordPress cache plugins that you can use to enhance your site performance and boost your loading time. You can put each to the test each check out their versions to see which one will compliment your site in the best way.